Sunday, February 12, 2012

Post Season Wrap Up

I sat down on my typical sunday today and watched some hunting shows. I caught a few that went through their highpoints of the year. What great idea. With that in mind, it gives me a chance to talk about mine. It felt like just yesterday that I stepped into my buddy's property to start my scouting of the area in southeastern Pennsylvania. Brian constantly said there were deer in his backyard. We strolled through the back lawn into a thick cedar stand of woods. The groundcover was dense small pathways. These small pathways weren't just animal trails though, they were deer superhighways. There was so much travel the paths were packed down hard like paved roadways.

So we hung a stand and installed a Wildgame Innovations trail camera. It wasn't long before the set of pictures came back. Deer...check, racoons...check, turkeys...check. I was truly surprised. The area is a meer 45 minutes away from Philadelphia and surrounded by tons of wildlife. Before we knew, the big boys (bucks) showed up to the camera as well. So I made final preparations which included the purchase of a Parker crossbow for my birthday. It was by far the best hunting present ever and gift to myself. Opening weekend quickly came and two deer later, my freezer was stocking up.

My co-worker Josh and I had planned mid season break from white tails to the marshlands of Maryland for some Sika deer action. This would require use of my skiff to access the hunting areas of marsh. This would be my first try at Sika deer, which is the eastern relative of the elk out west. The mornings were cool and crisp on the water, the moon laid up high to gives us a guiding light through the high marsh grass. As the sun would rise each morning and set in the evening, the marshland echoed with the bugle calls of this minature elk like deer. This experience was imprinted on me now and making want more. One thing I learned about early season in the marsh is full out mosiquto heaven, but Josh was able to stick a decent sized spike sike deer on the second morning.

After the hunting adventure to Maryland, which we fully intend to do again next year, it was back to southeastern, Pa. I was able to score another big doe with an incredible shot of 63 yards with my crossbow. This was frustrating though, all the bucks had converted to night time movement. A small glimer of hope would appear every few weeks of a big in the daylight on camera. So I would quickly change my work schedule to get some days during the week to get a sit in here and there. But with work being so demanding, I would have to travel to Detroit. One would think this to be a door closing on hunting, but on the contrary, this would put me close proximity to the family farm in western, PA.

Road tripping had always been second nature to me. So long as I found a place to lie my head down then I would make the trip. So Detroit bound I was, although it was the return side of the trip I looked forward to. With a quick call to my uncle to gain approval to hunt the farm then my trip would be cleared for take off. The one day at the farm would be a tease but well worth it. The morning was calling for a cold rain, so instead of sitting in my stand, I popped up the groundblind about 40 yards away. I was so glad to stay dry and still be able to see deer movement.

After the rain had stopped, the deer became to move. This morning would not provide an opportunity to see any bucks though. A small doe came strolling right past the blind with no idea I was there. I love that feeling, this is where all the scent control hurdles you jump finally pay off. I saw few more deer funnel out of the field but they traveled right down to the mine property. The evening hunt went about the same way, all doe and no bucks. The day was priceless though being able to sneak an early season sit on my favorite place to hunt.

Back to the grind of work, with the holiday season quickly approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment