Wednesday, September 12, 2012

C'mere Deer

Well after a few weeks of what seems like the same few deer walking up to my trail camera, an old face resurfaced. I was like a little kid in a candy store when I saw the picture. Doe, doe, fawn and doe, doe, big buck! It was the young 8 from last year and man he had really blown up. His perfect mainframe 8 point rack towered over his ears. His saggy belly and huge frame compared to any deer standing next to him. For as hot as a summer that we experienced, he must have found a great food source to keep that body mass on.

Like I said before, its been weeks of seeing the same deer, coming in taking a few bites of corn and walking away. This time I had tried something different. I refilled my feeder with shelled corn again and then sprinkled c'mere deer seed coat on it. Was this the determining factor to bring in this big buck and 15 other deer that hadn't been seen either? Or was it shear chance that they had just started coming back into the area again. Tough call, but based on jump in numbers of deer present, I would say the seed coat had something to do with it. The length of time spent in front of the camera also varied from before, its as if they were settling up for a black friday sales event. Did I mention that four other bucks showed up too. The basket 6 pointer looked like a dwarf compared to the new bucks in town.

So without further delay, let's take a look at the gang.

The young 8, which is now a mature wall hanger.

The high 6, a new comer to the area.

The 5 alive, a familiar face from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment