Monday, September 2, 2013

2 Orders of Hunting, Hold the Heat

The smell of the maple trees and sight of acorns is almost tangible. 4 three days stand between me and the woods. Maryland, like some other grateful states, opens a bit earlier than the Keystone State. Pennsylvania hunters will have to wait one more month before arrows can fly. South Carolina allows you a chance at a velvet buck as their season opens in August. That will be one for the bucket list, as any of states around me would never consider that as a possibility.
As I spend these last few days waiting for the green light, its provides the chance to double check gear, shoot those final perfect practice shots, and taking one a gaze at the hunting areas from my desktop. Of course, taking those hunting maps and transferring them into field plans, laminated, highlighted, and noted with specific information from my scouting.
My hunting pack is set with scouting gear still, as the first day, I am going to give the area one more glance. As the heat is still turned up, the focus for the hunt is water. The area of woods has two small ponds separated by about a mile with small creek beds snaking through. With hopes to find some serious deer signs around these ponds, it will be my best chance in the early season. The woods have agricultural fields to the south, so hopefully it will put in the deer's pathway of daily habits. Eat, drink, sleep.
The original forecast had a the heat breaking in the mid week, but now it seems that it will linger on a bit longer. This will be a first time hunt to this area anyway, but at least having some odds in my favor would help. Not only will heat hinder deer movement but it will surely beat me down sitting on stand all day. The outfit I have chosen will literally be the least amount of clothing to be worn. Keeping cool, means less sweating, and in turn less scent. During the sit on the water hole, wind management will be high on the list as not blow my chances.
All of my clothing that will be used is going through the scent control cycle: washing with baking soda, dried with no dryer sheets, and than directly back into zip lock bags. All my clothing bins are separated by seasonal requirements (lightweight to heavy). There are the hunters though that hope their tag will get filled early on and those heavy warm clothes get to stay packed away. Not me though, you have to drag me out of the woods at the end of the season. The colder weather brings out warming technique rituals: layered clothing, hand warmers, tea in the thermos, and day dreaming of the first hot meal upon arrival back at camp.
With state of the arm technologies available to hunters these days, its on hunters as to how far they want to take scent control. From skin tight carbon impregnated garments to expensive Ozone generating equipment. My philosophy is if you just follow a solid regime of scent management, it will allow that buck to come in close enough and hang out just long enough for that shot. With the heat being a factor on this hunt, having a few extra tricks up my sleeve may be the winning combination. A mid day shower to rid the sweat and grime and fresh pair of clothes to back it up is one way.
During my time in Maryland, there are a few farms to the south of the hunting area. If permission could be gained with the resident, it could allow a better stalk into the area I hope to hunt. Any time you interact with landowners, be polite and don't beat around the bushes. That means be completely honest, but the more upfront information that's provided can subside doubts that they may have. And as always, offer to lend a hand if means getting access to a hot spot. Private land access is a huge hurdle these days and there isn't anymore land being made.
Until next time, hunt hard and make the hunt happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment