Monday, September 9, 2013

Early Season, Slim Pickins'

A late would have to ensue in order to have a work free Friday for the first day of Maryland Deer season. Now if I could just ignore those emails on my phone and stay focused on the hunt. Easier said than of course, but simply turning that little sucker off can solve the problem quickly. This trip will take me south of Philadelphia, over the Mason-Dixon line, past Lord Baltimore and turning to the west. The landscape changes abruptly from the concrete jungles into quaint farm lands and sprawling patches of forests.
The destination is Patuxent River State Park, which provides ~3000 acres of huntable land. As most of the land is heavily wooded, its surrounded by agricultural fields of beans and corn by local farmers. As food isn't an issue, will it keep them out in the open with little to no pressure thus far? As this is the first time hunting this early and a new area, the immense workload was piling up fast. Arriving at the local WalMart to obtain my tags and few necessities for the trip the hunt was about to begin.
The first course of action was to scout the area. My co-worker would be joining me the next day and was already familiar with the area. My task was to pin point some deer activity and get in close. The plan for tomorrow was to sit on a pond about mile into the woods. As the heat is still lingering from summer, we figured water would be a deer's best friend right now. Although I would learn that the Patuxent River was decent in size, and the maps gave it little credit. The hunting area runs in a west to east orientation. Approximately 10 miles long and in some spots only a few hundred feet wide.
With the truck in park, my gear quickly assembled and my boots were on the trail. Heavy vegetation was expected as we are merely a couple days into September. So choosing an area with a small opening or a heavily traveled corridor was on watch list.
The first leg of scouting didn't turn up very much. One or two good areas to sit with some decent vantage points were identified. To my dismay though, deer sign was scarce. This just wouldn't be a high probability spot....yet. As I mentioned before, its early season, deer have hardly been pressured and are out in the open enjoying the farmland buffet. Returning to my truck to hydrate and regroup because another area would have to be scouted in a timely manner. This time my tree stand and bow would be coming with me
The gear on my back instance stirred up memories from Sika deer season. I was already carrying too much from what was actually needed. This would hinder my distance traveled significantly. Taking an open area that was off limits to hunting, it would give me easier access to getting further in the woods. As it was all state park land, it wasn't trespassing. Quickly my path is met with heavy vegetation and a steep ravine to cross that split the two open areas. Wearing not much more than my gilly suit and under armor, the briars would win this battle. The second open area led me further west before it dropped me into the woods. Following a foot path down, the elevation dropped into a thick overgrown forest.
Crossing over a small creek would allow me to view fresh deer tracks in the mud. This was all I needed to stop and hang my stand. As sweat was pouring out of me and hints that I am surely not in shape yet, the hunt was on. The briar battle would begin again at the base of the tree that overlooked the trail, the creek crossing and small opening for deer to step out. Shortly after a few more pricks, I was overlooking the forest floor from above. The first thing was too cool off, hydrate, and stop sweating. Luckily a light breeze out of the NE would assist me. My attention focused on the creek crossing and small open area.
After an hour or so, the signature crunching of leaves came to my left. Slowly would I have to turn in order to catch a glimpse. Deer! It felt great to see deer on first day of the season. The winter, spring, and summer are merely a waiting game until deer season starts again. The two deer that had appeared we slowly grazing on leaves that overhung on the foot path. As they believed to be the only ones around, they would rip and tear leaves from small bushes and trees vigorously. The first one in view was a small doe, with a burnt red coat that shimmered with twitches to ward off the flies. The other was her brother, his coat almost a dull gray with two small buttons emerging from his head. Collectively they might weigh over 100 pounds soaking wet, but the fact of the matter is that it wouldn't be worth harvesting a bag of bones.
Simply relaxing back in my stand, the show of the duo would give me a cheerful smile. There isn't a TV show in the world that can provide this level of enjoyment. This was real high definition, surround sound and 3D all in one. As the sister approached directly under my stand, the sweat droplets from earlier caught here attention. With a quick stare at her brother, they would just veer off the trail and continue to graze. It wasn't a few feet off the trail that the two disappeared into the vegetation.
Sitting a while longer, movement in the form of crunching leaves would turn my attention back to the open area. To my dismay, it was the flash of white tails popping in and out of the brush moving away quickly. The deer had moved in so quietly had been under my nose without knowing. That is a testament as to how thick it was in the forest. To their advantage, they would arrive directly down wind of me and their noses told them danger ahead. The walk back was much cooler, as temperatures were falling fast. It would be a tease as tomorrow was set to hit above 80. The ravine crossing was slightly more dangerous as the slope coupled with entangling briars pushed to take a leap of faith to the other side. All in all, it was good day though.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment