Monday, October 10, 2011

Young 8 on Tap

I had spend a few days playing cat and mouse with the old 8 point buck which was fine. Then like when you know it will happen his partner in crime showed up right after I left the stand and a little later he posed for the camera. The young 8 point buck. I wouldn't know this until I had returned from my sika deer hunt in Maryland though. It was like a little kick in the private area to know they were only coming into the hunting area after I left. Thats hunting though.

The moon phase was still keeping them up all night like it was 1999. So as these big bucks party like rock stars through the night hours, I am formulating a plan of attack. Its actually kind of simple. First to wait out the moon cycle to provide more deer movements at dawn and dusk. The second is the timing of rut. This is when the bucks are going to chase the ladies around the woods. They trade in a bit of brain power for testosterone. When this happens their guard will drop a bit, maybe enough to make the harvest.


Below a picture of the young 8, it has been almost two months since he had showed up. It looks like he grew a bit out of his velvet rack and seems a bit taller. Either way, he looks good. Its time for me to step up my game.


No comments:

Post a Comment